24 April 2012

Peach birds

Tuesday Timeline

Last month, I found the above image on this design crisis post. This silk wall covering is in the home of Hutton Wilkinson shown in Harper's Bazaar. It was one of those moments that made me stop and 'Gasp!'

The design is very similar to the window curtains my Mother used to have in our childhood home back in New Zealand. The curtains were gifted to my Mother from Indian neighbours who were moving. Immediately my Mother washed them and put them up as soon as they were dried and ironed. Without fail, visitors always commented about her 'peach bird curtains'. When we migrated to Australia, my Mother lamented the fact that she had to leave those curtains behind. They were quite heavy and our baggage was mostly clothes and mind-boggling to me, kitchen equipment.

To this day, everytime my Mother has her curtains replaced she always references back to those 'peach bird curtains'. I've always said to Leo, if ever I find a similar patterned fabric I would buy it no matter the cost for my Mum because it's just one of those memories that will never leave a person.

4 comments:

  1. Oooohhhh that is stunning indeed! What a sweet memory too. Love that!

    Have a wonderful day!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a sweet story and that pattern is truly stunning:) Have a wonderful day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ladies. I couldn't stop looking at it for a whole week.

    ReplyDelete

I wish you a beautiful day just for leaving me a comment. I hope to visit your blog soon.